Skip to main content

Bryan Hullihen's Early Adult Years


At 18 years old Bryan Hullihen entered into the sober living program called "Born Anew" which was located in an extremely rough part of West Palm Beach. Bryan had no vehicle at the time, no job, and had no idea how to overcome his insatiable desire to drink alcohol. Born Anew was a program which consisted of three neighboring houses that all shared one big backyard where there was a gazebo and an office. The gazebo was very large and is where most of the meetings centered around recovery from alcoholism and drug addiction took place. This program was for males only and between the three houses there were about 20 members of the program. The first several days Bryan was not allowed to leave the program grounds and he was given certain tasks and chores to accomplish to help him stay busy and learn a little humility. Around 5:00 in the evening all the other members of the program would return home from their jobs and, following dinner, would join together in the gazebo for recovery meetings. The beginning days in this program were of extreme value to the young Bryan Hullihen as he not only gained the humility necessary to become teachable he also began to truly understand how to overcome his alcoholism. Bryan quickly learned that his focus mustn't be on all the shiny distractions of most "normal" 18-year olds but instead his focus was needed on recovery from a seemingly hopeless state; alcoholism.

Thank you for your support in reading Bryan Hullihen’s story. Feel free to post anything you’d like as this blog is monitored by Bryan Hullihen.

Sincerely,

Private Author for Bryan Hullihen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bryan Hullihen starts telling his own story

Up until this point my story it has been lived by me and delivered to you in writing by somebody else due to the fact that I have been in prison for several years following a relapse. For a while I considered allowing that person to continue to write my story for me, however, I feel that a story is best told by the person who lived it. By this time in my life I was completely defeated and was willing to do whatever I needed to do in order to stop suffering so I entered into the treatment facility that my sister got me into with a level of humility that I hadn't felt in a long time. I fought against myself for far too long and I was done fighting. When I arrived at the treatment facility it was a whirlwind of questions and intake procedures so by the time it was all finished I was exhausted and soon after being given some detox medications I was out for the count for several hours. When I woke up the next day I was directed to a group that was filled with firefighters as this was j...
When Bryan Hullihen was 9 years old his mother moved he and his sister Heather to Jupiter, FL. According to Mr. Hullihen: ''Jupiter was a paradise and we live right on the beach. The schools, people, businesses, streets, everything was nicer than where we lived before”.  Bryan Hullihen moved to Jupiter, FL during the summer between his third and fourth grade year and he made many friends during that summer. Bryan spent most of his time with his new friend Chris, two sisters named Joanna and Juliet, and their friend Angela. Living in such a nice area afforded these young kids a lot of freedoms and most of their free time was spent swimming in pools, riding bicycles, or hanging out at the beach. For the most part they hung out together all the time. Joanna and Juliet were new to Jupiter, FL as well and they arrived there from South Africa the same summer as Bryan. Chris was also fairly new to the area as he moved there from West Virginia at the end of the previous school...

Bryan Hullihen's Time at the Hospital

Bryan Hullihen and his sister Heather walked into the hospital room to find their father with 200 stitches in his face, a broken left arm, broken left leg, all ribs on his left side broken, and a collapsed lung. He was barely conscious when the two young kids walked in but he recognized his children and as his head rolled over to one side a young Bryan Hullihen recalls observing a tear fall from his father's eye and roll down a severely shredded up face. Heather began crying uncontrollably and left the room after a short time to meet her brother in the hall. Not much was said that day but they both knew the realities of this terrible situation. They both knew that all of them were suffering. Mom, Dad, Heather, and Bryan were feeling the burden of a broken home due to one man's alcoholism. Bryan Hullihen began spending more time at the hospital as his father began to heal. The hospital held Mr. Hullihen, due to an infection that developed in his leg, longer than the 6 w...